Thinking about studying in Sweden?

Comprehensive information about higher education in Sweden is published on the website The official website for applying to higher education in Sweden is

Applying for higher education

To be able to study at a Swedish university or other Swedish higher education institution, certain prior knowledge requirements need to be met.

This prior knowledge is divided into:

  • basic entry requirements, common to all higher education, and
  • special entry requirements, stipulating the specific requirements in addition to basic entry requirements that are needed to be able to benefit from a particular higher education programme.

More information on basic and special entry requirements can be found on the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education website and on the website.


When the number of eligible applicants is greater than the number of places, applicants undergo a selection procedure. Selection is based on grades from upper secondary school (or its equivalent), the results of the national university aptitude test (a voluntary test measuring knowledge and skills of importance in higher education studies) or selection criteria determined by the higher education institution.


Admissions to programmes and courses at higher education institutions are coordinated by the Swedish Agency for Higher Education Services (VHS). Information about applying to higher education in Sweden can be found on the website


The Swedish Institute, a government agency, receives funding each year to use for scholarships for international students. Several programmes are offered. Information regarding Swedish Institute scholarship programmes can be found on

Scholarships are also available from the majority of Sweden's universities and university colleges. An application for such funding must be sent directly to the individual university/university college in which you are interested. Each higher education institute is responsible for its own scholarship programme. You will find further information on the university/university college's website.

The Ministry of Education and Research does not award scholarships or grant other forms of funds or financial assistance.

Application and tuition fees

In general, individuals who are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay both application and tuition fees. There are some exceptions to this general rule. You can read more about in which cases fees are applicable at

Residence permit / visa

Students who are citizens of a country outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland require a residence permit in order to study in Sweden for more than 3 months.

The Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) is responsible for visa/residence permit applications and answers enquiries and provides information on these subjects. Please consult the Board's website for more information.

Questions about studying in Sweden?

If you have any questions about studying in Sweden, for example about admission or student accommodation, please consult the websites and or contact the university or university college of your choice.

A list of higher education institutions is published on the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education website.

The roles of the Swedish Government and the Ministry

The Swedish Government has overarching responsibility for higher education in Sweden. Its responsibilities include enacting legislation regulating the higher education sector and funding higher education courses and study programmes.

Under the Swedish constitution, neither the Ministry of Education and Research nor the Minister for Higher Education and Research have the authority to intervene in individual cases.

The Ministry cannot assist individuals with admission, financial solutions, residence permits, etc.