The Department for Consular Affairs and Civil Law at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs works with issues related to consular assistance and civil law. It is also responsible for Ministry for Foreign Affairs travel recommendations.
Consular assistance is the assistance that Swedish citizens who are in distress or other difficulties can obtain from Swedish foreign missions (embassies and consulates). Assistance can take the following forms:
For more information about consular affairs, see under the heading Ministry for Foreign Affairs advice before travelling abroad.
- helping people to help themselves, i.e., advice and information
- assistance in criminal cases
- assistance to the victims of crime
- financial assistance to Swedish citizens abroad
- measures in connection with the death of a Swedish citizen abroad
- measures in connection with major accidents and disasters involving Swedish citizens abroad
Civil law issues
Included in civil law issues are matters concerning
- abducted children
- the legalisation of documents
- marriage abroad
- international adoptions
- matters concerning national military service, driving licences and searches for missing persons